In Engage you can create custom questions or database fields. These questions can be used to gather information on public facing forms or through advocate uploads uploads. The values of these field can be used to power your advocate searches and reports.
To get started, navigate to the Questions page of your Engage admin (found under the Engage menu). You will see any previously created custom questions here. To create a new one, select "Create Question."When you select "Create Question" the "Question Options" form will appear:Question Options
System Name: The system name must be unique and will remain consistent regardless of how you edit the question label on forms. The system name cannot have any spaces or non-standard characters and once published, this name cannot be edited.
Data Type After adding a system name we will select a data type from available options. The different question types allow you different levels of data control. You can make anything from short text fields to very specific drop down menus:
- Short text: This is a standard short text field, like a company name or a quick question.
- Number: This field is used when we require the answer input as a number with no text.
- One From A List of Discrete Values: Use this field when you want to select only one answer from a list of values.
- One Or More From A List of Discrete Values: Like the previous field, this shows multiple options. But, you are not restricted to selecting just one.
- Date: This field is used when the you want the answer a searchable date
- Long Text: If you want people to enter in a longer comment, this field gives them more room than the "Short Text" field.
- Boolean: This field is used when answer is a simple "Yes" or "No."
Question Type There are two types of questions in Engage:
- Advocate: These questions are related to your advocate database. They'll be used for advocate uploads and on advocate information forms on your Engage account.
- Call Feedback: These questions are used to customize the feedback your advocates can send you about their calls when they take action on a Make a Call Engagement.
Question Here you can setup the question label. It controls how it will display on different Engage forms by default. For example: “What is your membership type?”
Input Type The input type is based on the data type which you have selected before. For example for a “Boolean” Data type the input type would be checkbox and for “Short Text” data type the input type would be either text or hidden text etc.
Once this has been saved, you will see the new question listed with the others. You can then view the question details or make edits.
How to view question details Once you create a custom question, it will appear under the listings of custom questions. You can click on the detail tab to view information about a question. On the right hand side you will see the values for different responses. You can also clone a question and remove a question from here.
How to make edits In order to make edits to a question you need to click on the detail tab and then click on the edit question tab. One thing to keep in mind is that you won’t be able to edit the System name of a question afterwards. The things you can edit are the “Question type” and “Input Type”. You can use the upload system to fill in custom information for the questions or you can use the forms option under engage to add the questions to different forms