Q: How do I send an email to Congress or Hill staffers?
A: Follow these steps:
- Click Create/Send Message to Staff under the “Communications” section of Knowlegis.
- Choose ‘Create a new list’, or choose an existing list from the drop down menu. Only existing lists with a staff position(s) included will be listed. Click Next.
- Choose ‘Plain text format only’ or ‘HTML and plain text formats concurrently’. The HTML Format allows you options similar to those found in a word processor, such as control of the font and the ability to insert pictures. The Plain Text Format does not.
- Fill in the From Name, From Email, Reply-To? Email, and Delivery Date. Click set to current time to send the message as soon as possible.
- The Subject field can be personalized by clicking personalize subject line. Selecting ‘Chamber’ from the drop down list, for example, will fill in the recipient official’s chamber (either House or Senate). Arrange the Mail Merge tags to appear how you want them in the subject.
- Choose your desired Tracking Options.
- Write and format your HTML message. To import text, click Paste As Plain Text and then format. Select from the Mail Merge drop down list to include personalized terms.
- Write your Text Only message.
- Click Preview.
- To have a sample of the email sent to your own email address, enter it in the ‘E-mail preview to:’ field and click Send.
- Preview the message content for both the HMTL and Text Only versions. Select ‘Sample Recipient’ and click next and prev to view how the message will appear for different recipients. Select Highlight Fields to see how merge tags are being used in your message. Click Edit to go back and make changes.
- Click Save and Send.
Once a message has been sent, you can click on the blue grid to see reports on open/click-thru rates. If you need to recreate/re-send emails via the curled arrow beside a sent message.