- Once Elections Are Called
- Once Members Are Sworn In
Election season means new members of Congress, and new members of Congress means it’s time to familiarize yourself and your organization with those legislators.
Luckily, CQ provides summary information on those members as soon as they’re sworn in. Here’s how to leverage the tools CQ provides to create productive, lasting relationships with legislators.
What You Can Expect When Elections Are Called
As soon as results are called in elections for either chamber of Congress, the CQ Editorial team will post key biographical information on newly elected members. This will include:
- Personal History
- Career History
- Political Highlights
- Election(s) Summary
- Family, Religious and Demographic Info
- Key Issue Areas
Where to Find Short New Member Bios
As an example, during the 2020 election, CQ posted bios for newly elected members in a landing page called "New Members of the 117th Congress."
From this landing page, you can access the short bios for all new legislators. You can also access those bios by searching the legislator's name in the upper righthand corner search bar.
What You Can Expect Once Members Are Sworn In
Once members have been sworn in in January 2021, you can expect the following information to start to be added to their Member Profile as they add staff and begin actively legislating.
- District Info: Grant, company and contract information about the member's district.
- Legislative Info: All bills sponsored and cosponsored by the member as well as votes taken.
- Committee Info: Everything you need to know about that member’s committee assignments, scheduled hearings and markups, recent hearings and markups and more.
- Staff Info: Staff names, titles and emails.
- Election Info: A breakdown of their election.
To locate their member profiles, head to 'Research' → 'Member Info.'